Sunday, October 12, 2008

OCTOBER 11, 2008

Dam Bridge Dam

The weather is cooler today. In the 60’s to 70’s with some clouds here & there. I drove from Las Vegas, NV to Needles, CA by way of Arizona. On the way to Hoover dam I found a small railroad museum. Then, I was off to see Hoover Dam. I,d seen it twice before, but this time I was interested to see the progress of the bridge being built a few hundred yards south of the dam. When I visited in 2005, bridge construction was being started. I figured it must be finished by now. I beleive that it’s going to be a concrete arch supported bridge. It appears that it may take a few more years to complete. At the current rate of construction, it may take more time to build this bridge than it took to build Hoover Dam. Later I drove south to visit Lake Havasu, AZ, where the previous version of the London Bridge now resides. Here in the middle of the Arizona desert, crossing Lake Havasu, is a beautiful stone arch bridge. At least being hear, the bridge is safe from the London pigeons. At the south end of Lake Havasu is Parker Dam. It’s of similar design as Hoover Dam, but much much smaller. No tourists were found here. I didn’t linger too long at this dam, as it was getting late & I still had 100 miles of driving left. This last segment of my drive, included a part of Hwy 95 (in Cal.) that must have been the longest stretch of straight highway I’ve ever driven.

Click on the image to view a larger version

No comments: